Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Hold To The Rod... And Try Not To Smack Them In The Head With It

Really?! It's been NOVEMBER since I last blogged on here?! I'd repent, but I can't guarantee that I won't be repeating this behavior.

Wow... well... where do I start then? I guess with Janet's lesson on Sunday based on Ann Dibbs talk "Hold On". The basic message was that Heavenly Father has not left us alone while here on Earth. He's given us "safety equipment" that we just need to utilize instead of leaving around unused 'cause we think we're beyond needing it.

My ears pricked up when she mentioned that we need to "hold to the iron rod" that is the "word of God". This particular dream of Lehi's was mentioned in a little "discussion" we recently had with my teenager. My sweet, beautiful daughter went from little girl to wanna-be 16-yr.-old overnight. We were prepared to deal with teenage issues at around 14, but it's frankly caught us off-guard, and worried us, with all of it happening full blast at 12. She's been lately choosing not to hold on to the rod as tightly as we would like. Thank goodness for Family Home Evening and scripture study and the Young Women's Personal Progress program and prayer... but most of all, thank goodness for a ward family that keeps a sharp eye out for ALL of our youth and for moms that aren't afraid to speak up. I'm telling you - I've been burning up the e-mail line lately to a bunch of moms and YW leaders - because I'm convinced that it cannot be done alone! I just hope that the joy that the gospel brings to our own lives, and the teaching opportunities it provides, is enough to inspire our kids to hold tight. Trust me though - I have more than my fair share of days when I just want to ground her 'til she's 20. Tempting. Soooo tempting. :)

I want to make sure that I give a reminder about the Emergency Expo at the Erringer Bldg. this Saturday starting at 10am. I've heard from one of the planners that those that get there first will have an assortment of freebies to choose from. Gotta love the freebies!

Lastly, just a little plug for the mid-week activities going on. The Healthy Lunch group has been learning how to cook all sorts of things using ingredients like quinoa and agave. It's been fascinating and lots of fun. If you want to join us then just show up! If you enjoy it enough to continue then we'll put you in the rotation of hosting one of the meals. It's a large group so our turn really only comes around once every two months or so. The Parenting class has been really great too. We have a light lunch and progress a little more each time in our manual. How awesome it's been to be able to learn from each other's successes and sometimes failures. Just ask my kids and they'll tell you it's been really great for our family. The beatings are far less frequent now. KIDDING! :) I hear glowing reports about the Herb class and the Quilting class, so if that interests you then go for it!

I'm open to ideas for a one-time only night class on April 1st. The computer class seems to go in and out of popularity... so I'm open to some new ideas. Let's get some comments going ladies! Do you want a craft, a lesson, a game night... let me know!

-Kristy

No comments:

Post a Comment