Saturday, July 25, 2009

Why Would Sis. Okazaki Sing About Tuna?

So I dragged Shaun to the fireside tonight with Sis. Okazaki talking about being of good cheer. Yep, we decided to brave the crowds and actually got there 5 minutes early in hopes of a good seat... which we got aplenty since the chapel was only half full. Yep, sadly 1/2 of the Stake is on vacation being cheerful and another 1/4 of the Stake thinks they already have enough cheer in their life and couldn't possibly handle any more. 1/8 of the Stake didn't want to brave the untold crowds that would inevitably go to hear such a wonderful speaker, some more thought it was just for the women (read the entire flyer guys!) and some were just tired at the end of the day (hey, it happens, we get it). Those remaining really enjoyed an edifying evening of emotion and laughter.

She referenced 2 Nephi 30:19-20. If I'd had half my wits about me I'd have taken something to take notes with, but I didn't, so what I remember will be scattered. She talked about remembering. She joked that, with being 83 now, in order to remember what she's going downstairs to get from her food storage she has to sing "I'm going downstairs for tuna, tuna, tuna!". She also talked about changing our outlook to be more positive. The part I loved best though was when she talked about being of service. She mentioned a comic strip she had seen that had three people all holding signs. The first two were guys in sandals and beards with the first sign reading "Love your neighbor" and the next one reading "Love your enemies". The last sign holder was a woman in a polka-dot house dress who's sign read "Love Edna Granowski" (herself). She talked about how we need to stop thinking in general concepts and start doing service, just one person at a time. It's great if you love your neighbors, but what about if you did something nice for Jane Smith? What kind of impact can you make for just one person? Anyways, I laughed and cried and got to chat with friends afterwards - I left happy.

If you were able to attend, what was your favorite part of her talk? If you weren't, then let me know what kind of service you can think of, either for yourself or someone else, that might be something we could do as sisters in the ward... wash a car? babysit? clean? movie night?... I dunno, you tell me! I do know that today one of you gave a ride when it was needed and I'm grateful for both the sister who was willing to give the ride and the sister brave enough to ask in her time of need. You make me smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment